Our History

In 1898, F.A. Vaniman accomplished a long time goal of opening his own bank. That bank was Peoples State Bank. Located at 101 South Main in downtown McPherson, that bank, now known as Peoples Bank & Trust Company is still located at the same location. Mr. Vaniman remained the president for 50 years until his retirement in 1948.

Now, more than 110 years later, Peoples Bank & Trust Company has become one of the strongest banks in Kansas. A leader in commercial, small business, and real estate lending, Peoples Bank now has over $300 million in assets. While achieving these lofty heights, the bank has never forgotten its heritage of service to the customer as its primary objective.

In 1995, Peoples Bank & Trust Company purchased Nickerson State Bank and branched that bank into Hutchinson. In 1997, Farmers State Bank of Yoder was purchased and branched into Pleasantview. The banks all merged on June 15, 1998 under the umbrella of Peoples Bank & Trust Company. In 1999, Peoples Bank opened its first branch in McPherson, when it opened a location in the Dillon store on North Main Street. In early 2000, a drive-through branch was opened in McPherson at First and Main. In 2005 a second branch was opened on 30th street in Hutchinson and a branch in Inman was opened in 2006.  Just recently, the tenth Peoples Bank location was added in Lindsborg.

Peoples Bank & Trust Company, now with ten locations in central Kansas, continues to prosper and grow with a terrific staff, knowledgeable officers, dedicated directors, and most importantly, a wonderful customer base!